Addressing the Practical and Legal Needs of a Halfway House

Posted on: October 6, 2014 by Community Action Agencies

Addressing the Practical and Legal Needs of a Halfway House

Halfway houses, also called transitional housing, provide people with a temporary place to live as they attempt to get back on their feet or make a major transition in their lives. Wishing to open and start a halfway house is an admirable desire; however it requires careful consideration and thorough research to ensure that the business plan addresses all the legal and financial needs for the individual or group starting it.

The first practical step to start a halfway house is to research the area; assessing the target audience and the services needed in that particular area. Typical residents in a halfway house include former federal or local inmates, young mothers, at-risk teens, veterans, the homeless, people with disabilities, and substance abusers. Quite often a local social services department can provide insight to the community’s needs.

The US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) states that no matter what type of housing or leasing is chosen for the halfway house that it should be near the following:

  • Public transportation, if available
  • Potential places of employment
  • High schools and community colleges
  • Health care clinics and hospitals

Once an ideal location is identified, it’s important that halfway house administrators familiarize themselves with the housing regulations and zoning laws in their area. Doing so will help them remain compliant and reduce their community action agency insurance risks. Other steps to take include registering the halfway house as a business and getting the appropriate licenses needed. Administrators should also assess their business needs and establish guidelines; such as how many residents their facility can hold, keeping legal, funding, and safety restrictions in mind.

Whether your client runs a halfway house or any other type of Community Action Agency, Care Providers provides the comprehensive insurance solutions they need. Please contact us today to learn more at (855) 790-7379. 

Posted in: Community Action Agency Insurance Halfway house